Archive for the ‘Latihan Soal’ Category
ULANGAN AKHIR SEMESTER 2
SEKOLAH MENENGAH ATAS (SM
Mata pelajaran : Bahasa Inggris
Kelas : XII
Hari/ tanggal : ……………………..
Waktu : 90 menit
- Sebelum mengerjakan soal, tulislah terlebih dahulu nama, Nomor Ulangan Umum, dan kelas pada jawaban yang tersedia.
- Kerjakan soal-soal dengan pulpen/bolpoint, dan tidak boleh mengerjakan soal dengan pensil/spidol.
- Periksa dan bacalah soal-soal dengan teliti sebelum anda menjawab.
- Jumlah soal: 40 soal pilihan ganda dan 5 soal essay semua harus dikerjakan.
- Laporkan kepada pengawas UU kalau terdapat tulisan yang kurang jelas atau ada yang rusak.
- Dahulukan menjawab soal-soal yang anda anggap mudah.
- Kerjakan pada lembar jawaban yang disediakan dengan cara memberikan tanda silang (X) pada jawaban yang anda anggap paling benar.
- Apabila ada jawaban yang anda anggap salah, dan anda ingin memperbaikinya, tidak diperbolehkan memakai tipe-ex atau penghapus, melainkan dengan cara seperti dibawah ini.
Semula : a b c d e
Dibetulkan : a b c d e
- Untuk menjawab soal-soal essay (uraian) perbaikan dengan cara mencoret jawaban yang salah dengan dua garis dan menulis di atas jawaban yang diperbaiki.
- Selamat mengerjakan.
I. Some texts and questions will be given in this section. Read them carefully and answer the questions by crossing a, b, c, d or e in your answer sheet!.
Text 1 is for questions number 1-5.
Icebergs are mountains of freshwater ice floating in the ocean. They are huge chunks broken off from the great masses of land ice called glaciers.
Almost all of Greenland and Antarctica are covered by glaciers the year round. Glaciers also cover parts of Alaska. They are formed by layers of packed snow. Glacier may be thousands of meters thick. Their front ends, or tongues, reach down to the sea. At the coast the tips of the tongues break off, plunge into the oceans, and become icebergs. This process is called calving.
When calving occurs, a loud cracking noise fills the air. Sometimes a low rumbling can be heard for hours before the ice actually breaks away. People close enough can hear the hissing of air as it escapes from bubbles bursting in the ice along the break.
Glaciers calve all year round. Just as many icebergs break off in winter as in summer. But in winter their passageway to open the sea is often jammed with masses of frozen seawater. Icebergs pile up behind this jam of sea ice. In the spring, when the ice block is broken, a whole fleet of icebergs may sail out toward the open ocean.
Icebergs from the eastern coast of Greenland drift southward. They are carried by the Greenland Current, which then swings them northward around the tip of the island. Part of the way up the coast the icebergs are caught in the cold Labrador Current and carried southward toward Newfound-land
On the way, most of the icebergs become grounded among the many islands and bays along the Labrador coast. The others float on toward the open sea. Off Newfoundland they are caught by a warm current from the south called the Gulf Stream. Icebergs that do not ground and remain in the Labrador Current often enter the lanes used by ships crossing the Atlantic Ocean.
An iceberg starts to break up almost as soon as it is afloat. Cracks appear and become filled with water from ice that melts during the day. When this melted water freezes at night, it expands and widens the cracks. The ice is weakened, and pieces of iceberg break off and float away. The iceberg becomes smaller and smaller. Most icebergs melt completely within a few days of entering the Gulf Stream
- What does the text tell us about?
- What calving is
- What glaciers cover
- How far glaciers cover
- How icebergs exist*
- How iceberg is defined
- In what paragraph is the definition of iceberg found?
- Paragraph 1*
- Paragraph 2
- Paragraph 3
- Paragraph 4
- Paragraph 5
- Calving is ….
- The loud cracking noise in the air
- The process of becoming icebergs *
- The coast tip falling down into the sea
- The tongues of Glaciers reaching down to the sea
- The plunging process of a certain part of Glaciers
- The purpose of this text is….
- to describe Iceberg in detail
- to give readers the information of Iceberg
- to tell about the area covered with huge Icebergs
- to explain the process of iceberg as a natural phenomena *
- to retell natural events for the purpose of informing or entertaining
- They are the huge chunks broken off from the great masses of land ice called glaciers
The bold word has the same meaning as ….
- When you are driving a car. ………your child at the back of your own seat!
- don’t forget to seat
- I’d like to put a seat
- remember to sit down
- I’d like you to have a seat
- you are seated
- John : …… I completely forgot to bring your novel. ….
Cindy : It’s okay, you can return it tomorrow
- I forgive you – you are very kind
- I am really sorry – It’s very kind of you
- I give my apology – this won’t happen again
- I forgive you – this won’t happen again
- I am really sorry – this won’t happen again*
- The murder …. yet though people really hope the murderer ….
- has not solved – catch
- has not to solve – caught
- has not to be solved – be caught
- has not been solved – to be caught*
- has not been solved – being caught
- Eddy : This room …….every day. This seems no dust on it. It’s so shiny
Roy : I think so
- can be very clean
- may so clean
- will be cleaned
- must be cleaned*
- must be extremely clean
Text 2 is for questions number 10-15.
My neighbour’s children love playing hide-and-seek as all children do, but no one expected that a game they played last week would be reported in the local newspaper.
One afternoon, they were playing in the street just outside the post office. Young Ian, who is only five years old found the perfect place to hide. His sister, Janet, had shut her eyes and was counting up to ten when Ian noticed that the small metal door of the letter-box had been left open. The postman had just taken all the letters out and had gone into the post office to see if there were any parcels. Ian climbed into the letter-box and pulled the door from the inside so hard that it locked. Soon realizing what he had done, he became very frightened and started crying. Meanwhile, Janet was looking for him everywhere but could not find him. It was lucky she happened to stop outside the letter-box and hear her brother’s cries. She immediately ran to tell the postman who hurried out to unlock the metal door. Ian was now free, but he had had such a bad fright that he could not stop crying. The postman, however, soon found a way of making him laugh again. He told him that next time he wanted to hide in a letter-box, he should remember to stick a stamp on himself
- What is the text about?
- The most harmful event of game
- The writer’s neighbor’s children playing game
- The game played by the writer’s neighbor children
- The dangerous game done by the writer’s neighbor’s children
- The event of when the children of the writer’s neighbor’s were playing game*
- Which one of the following does the story tell?
- Janet had already finished counting ten
- Ian locked himself purposefully in the letterbox
- Ian was able to unlock the letterbox himself
- Janet was the one who told the postman about the problem*
- The postman got such a fright that he could open the letterbox
- “My neighbour’s children love playing hide-and-seek as all children do, but no one expected that a game they played last week would be reported in the local newspaper. One afternoon, they were playing in the street just outside the post office.”
The above is the ……..of the text
- general classification
- “Soon realizing what he had done, he became very frightened and started crying ” The underlined word in the sentence above can be classified into….
- verbal verb
- mental verb
- relational verb
- existential verb*
- behavioral verb
- What is the communicative purpose of the text?
- To retell a story for entertaining*
- To describe the way things look like
- To inform readers about events of the day.
- To describe particular participants, Ian and Janet
- To explain the processes involved in natural phenomena.
- Ian climbed into the letter-box and pulled the door from the inside so hard that it locked. Soon realizing what he had done, he became very ….. and started crying.
- Jean : ……
Mr. Thomson : my pleasure. What can I do for you?
Jean : I need to move this table to that corner.
- Hi, help me !
- Do you mind if I say something?
- Excuse me, do you have the time?
- Sorry, I hate to interrupt but I have to.
- I’d be very grateful if you’d do me a favor*
- Nanda : To tell you the truth, I am not too bad to fix this radio
Cindy : Really? So it means I needn’t have it repaired
In the dialogue, Nanda expresses his …. to do something
Text 3 is for questions number 18-23
Divorce May Mean Happier Lives for the Children
Divorce changes childhood but not necessarily for the worse. Many children from broken homes go on establish loving relationships with both their parents.
It’s difficult for children to be party to any ongoing dispute between parents.
One child spoke of the “Bermuda Triangle” – the mythical space between the homes of her parents into which socks and schoolbooks, game kit and pencil sharpeners always seemed to disappear. Another child complain bitterly that one mother refuse to let her on the weekends she spent with her dad. They hated being told secrets and carrying messages to and from between their parents. Worrying about how kids will be affected by divorce often leads parents into crooked thinking.
What matters is overcoming and dealing with those difficulties. In life we are always going to face difficulties and that we should never have problems is not a good way at looking at childhood.
Rather than wringing their hands about the harmful effects of splitting up, parents can be positive and look at strategies for dealing with problems that might arise. As a proof, a lot of parents that we interviewed stayed together longer than they have done though they were so worried about the effect of divorce on their thinking that any kind of adolescent rebellion was because of the divorce.
What we are saying is that young people can strive under these circumstances and that it’s the quality of the relationship that matter. Divorce might be a whole lot better than a really grim family situation and children can often be extraordinarily happy and contented after their parents’ divorce
18. The text discusses about ….
- The broken home children
- The good possibility of divorce*.
- The difficulty the children face
- The ongoing dispute between parents.
- The worse childhood because of the divorce.
- In life we are always going to face difficulties and that we should never have problems is not a good way at looking at childhood
The word we in this sentence refers to….
- the parents
- the children
- the mothers.
- the readers*
- the writers
- The first paragraph is the …. of the text.
- general statement.*
- What makes parent worried about thinking of getting divorce?
- The affects to the children after the divorce*
- The crooked thinking the parent s have
- The difficulty of caring of the children
- The inability for the mother to sent them to school
- The fear the parents suffer after the divorce
- The good way to teach the children to see the real world is that they should….
- be happy every time.
- keep studying for their future
- let their father or mother remarry
- realize that each person must have their own problem *
- be able to accept another partner to their father / mother.
- Divorce might be a whole lot better than a really grim family situation and children can often be extraordinarily happy and contented after their parents’ divorce
The similar meaning of the underlined word is ….
- Jean : why did you look so different yesterday?
Have I done something wrong to you?
Anny : yes, you are ….
You told every one here my secret
I’ll never tell you anything. No more
- really the mistake
- accusing me a lot
- the only person to blame *
- the fault in this problem
- blamed to do that thing
25. Fred : I ….. a John M Echol’s dictionary
Shop assistant : Yes. It’s over there. Let me take it for you.
- I want*
- I need to know
- I’ve got to see
- I wish I could have
- What I really like is
26. (into – a – fish – an egg – of – the – development ) is a wonderful thing to watch.
The correct arrangement is ….
- The fish of a development into an egg
- An egg into a fish of the development
- The development of a fish into an egg
- A fish into an egg of the development
- The development of an egg into a fish*
Text 4 is for questions number 27-31
Jim is an exchange student from England. He stays with a family in Indonesia. He chatting with his friend, Alya at the veranda.
Alya : How are you
Jim : Fine thanks. How are you doing?
Alya : Great thanks. You seem to like reading newspaper
Jim : Well, it’s not that much but at least I need to know what happens in your
country so I can write to my friends about it.
Alya : What’s the headline today?
Jim : The deliberation on pornography and porn act bill
I wonder why the people here give so much attention to this issue
Alya : This is a sensitive thing here, Jim. It’s all about morality, people are
concerned about the bad effect of pornography and porno act on the
young generation. The mass media exploiting the pornography should be
blamed for the moral degradation of the young generation.
Jim : But, I think the government does not need to regulate this with a kind of
Bill. It will limit the freedom of the press. It’s exaggerating, I suppose.
Alya : Do you think so, Jim? How about in your country, Jim?
Jim : Our government just requires the media and the press to give detail about
the requirements to access the media. Say for example: a certain
magazine is only for adults and people can get it through a subscription.
Alya : In that case, I think the condition is quite different, Jim even tough some
people really disagree with this bill especially the people making
business from this field, even tough I think most of people here agree
with this bill.
Jim : Do you think so?
Alya : Perhaps the House members should be clear about the bill and can assure
that the bill will not be misused.
Jim : let’s wait and see
- The text mainly tells us about….
- The sensitivity of the bad effect of pornography and porno act
- The morality of young generation effected by pornography
- The regulation the government should make on the pornography
- The deliberation on pornography and porno act bill*
- The requirement the media and the press should fulfill
28. The communicative purpose of the text is….
A. to present (at least) two different points of view about an issue*
B. to retell events with a humorous twist
C. to explain about the important events in the past
D. to inform readers about important events of the day
E. to retell events for the purpose of informing or entertaining
29. Which statement is not true according to the text?
- The topic talked about is written on the headline
- The pornography and porno act effect on the young generation badly
- The mass media, though only some, exploit the pornography a lot
- The points of view proposed are from the perspective of the same country*
- The House Representatives should in charge of making the regulation
- Which one doesn’t match?
- happen : take place
- deliberation : reflection
- issue : subject
- degradation : dilapidation
- exaggerating : complete disorder*
- “Perhaps the House members should be clear about the bill and can assure that the bill will not be misused” in the dialogue is supposed to be the …. of the discussion
- Polythene bags, a plastic product, …. in almost all ways of life nowadays
- have to be used
- were used
- are now being used
- have been used*
- are going to be used
33. Dani : Hendra says he always studies hard.
Dina : How come? He often gets bad mark for English tests.
In the dialogue above Dina said that Hendra often…. bad marks for the English test
- has got
- had got
- had to get
- The line at the top of a page of a newspaper containing title is called a….
- headline *
Text 5 is for questions number 35-37
RAIN AND TEARS
Rain and tears all the same
But in the sun you’ve to play the game
When you cry in winter time
You can’t pretend, it’s nothing but the rain
How many times I’ve seen
Tears coming from your blue eyes
Rain and tears all the same
But in the sun you’ve got to play the game
Give an answer of love I need an answer of love
Rain and tears in the sun
But in your heart you feel the rain the waves
Rain and tears both for shown
For in my heart there’ll never be a sun
Rain and tears all the same
But in the sun you’ve play the game
- Which one of the following statements is implied in this song?
- The writer’s lover treats him well.
- The writer’s lover often expresses her sadness*
- The writer has got his expectation from his lover
- The writer of the song feels sure with his love.
- The writer feels that his love story will have a happy ending.
36.“Rain and tears both for shown
For in my heart there’ll never be a sun”
The underlined expression means that the writer….
- will feel sure in his heart
- will always feel sad*
- will have his heart be with bright life
- will feel so faithless all the time
- will get very tired all his life
- The word “rain” in this song refers to …..
- autumn time
- spring time
- winter time*
- summer time
- rainy season time
….(38) I am going to win(38)…. Sammy said. ….(39) I practiced all winter long….(39)
- The correct punctuation should be….
- ( “ – “ ) *
- ( “ – , )
- ( , – “ )
- ( “ – . )
- ( – – “ )
- The correct punctuation should be….
- ( “ ) ,( “ ) , ( . )*
- ( “ ) ,( ) , ( . )
- ( ) ,( “ ) , ( . )
- ( “ ) ,( “ ) , ( )
- ( “ ) ,( , ) , ( )
40 Mrs. Thompson, Jean’s aunt, dropped in Jean ’s house . Jean opened the door for her and offered her a drink
Sari : Please come in, aunty
Mrs. Thompson : Thank you.
Sari : Have your seat and yourself comfortable!
Mrs. Thompson : Yes, please.
- Want a drink?
- Have a drink?
- Do you want a drink?
- Would you like a drink? *
- Do you want to have a drink?
41. Read the passage then correct the words which have wrong spelling.
A tsunami is a series of waves generated when water in a lake or in the sea is rapidly displace on a massive scale. Eartquake, landslide, volcanic eruptions and large meteorite impacts all have the potential to generate a tsunami. The effacts of a tsunami can range from unnoticable to devastating.
The term tsunami comes from the Japanese language meaning harbour (‘tsu’) and wave (‘nami’). Although in Japanese tsunami is used for both the singgular and plural, in English tsunamis is well-establised as the plural. The term was created by fishermen who retuned to port to find the area surrounding the harbour devastated, although they had not been aware of any wave in the open water.
42. Rearrange the jumbled paragraphs into the right composition
How was the plastic invented?
Today, plastic has become an integral part of our life. Its uses are endless. Transparent plastics are used for making lenses and the windows of aeroplanes. Polythene bags, again a plastic product, are now being used in almost all walks of life. Articles of domestic use like buckets, cups, brushes, combs, cabinets for radios and transistors etc, are also being made from plastics. Toys and sports goods made from plastic have flooded the markets every where. The yarn for making terylene cloth is in fact made from plastic. Today scientists have even succeeded in developing heat insulating plastics. Foam cushions, seats in trains cars and aeroplanes – all are made from plastics.
Now, plastic are used as surgical aids also. There is hardly any field of life in which plastics are not used
The manufacture of plastic in commercial scale was started for the first one by Leo Hendrik Backeland. He made it form phenol formaldehyde. Subsequently new techniques were developed for the production of the plastics. Today scientist have discovered many raw materials which are used in the making of various kinds of plastic products.
The word “plastic’ has originated from the Greek word ‘plastikos’ which means to mould. It is made from simple organic chemicals. It has many varieties and is available in many colors and varieties. The plastic was invented by Alexander Parkes of England in 1862. in those days it was called ‘parkesine’ after him. In fact, this plastic was nitro-cellulose made soft by putting oil and camphor into it.
43. Based on the text above answer the following questions
- What kind of text is it?
- What is the purpose of the text?
- What parts of the General Structure of a text are paragraph 1 and 4?
- What parts of the General Structure of a text are paragraph 2 and 3?
44. Pauline : Hi.
Rick : Do you see John?
Pauline : No, he is out but I don’t know when he’ll come back.
Rick : Well, I’m in a hurry and I must be off now.
Would like to give him this memo. I want him to meet me at Jack’s
House at 4 this afternoon.
Thanks a lot
Write the possible memo written by Rick for John using your own words!
45. Rewrite this passage. Use the correct capitalization and punctuation!
How Planes Fly
a plane needs air pressure under their wings to stay up in the air as they move forward the higher air pressure underneath their wings pushes them upward and gives them lift
the smooth streamlined shape of the plane allows air to fly easily over its surface this helps to reduce the drag causes by the air pushing against the plane and allows it to move rapidly through the air
planes move forward using engines this movement is called thrust moving forward keeps a stream of moving air passing over the wings which allows the plan to stay up in the air if the engines fall the plane will begin to descend very quickly
Sumber data : Bu Mur SMAN 7 Semarang
PREDIKSI SOAL UN BAHASA INGGRIS SMP
- What does the notice mean?
- We must not arrive earlier.
- We have to come on time.
- We should come late.
- We may come later.
2. Where do we usually find the notice above?
- In front of the classroom
- Around the beach
- On the supermarket
- In the garden
3. Where will they study together?
- In class
- At my home
- At Tuti’s home
- At Ita’s home
4. The word “I” in the text above refers to….
5. What kind of the card is it?
- Congratulation card
- Greeting card
- Credit card
- Permission card
6. From the text, we know that the writer intend to …
- Inviting Anggi on her debate.
- Congratulating Anggi on her first winner on English debate.
- Giving message to Anggi.
- Offering Suzan to participate on debate competition.
Text for no 7 and 8
7. Which of the following statement is NOT TRUE according to the text?
- The girl hasn’t known where her parents are.
- The girl has been found by her parents
- The girl hasn’t found her parents yet
- A shopkeeper has found a lost girl
- “May we have your attention, please?”
The underlined word refers to…
- the lost girl
- the shopkeeper
- the parents
- the shoppers
This text is for no 9-11
Hi Friend, here I invite you to my 15th birthday party
Date:Monday 2 February 2009
Time:8 pm – 10 pm
Place: Sari Rasa Restaurant ( in front of SMP 2 Wonosobo)
Please be on time without you the party will be different
9. Where will the Fury’s birthday party be held?
- at SMP 2 Wonosobo
- at Fury’s house
- Monday, 26 January 2009
- At Sari Rasa Restaurant.
- What is the purpose of writing the text?
- to inform about fury’s party
- to invite Ratna to attend Fury’s party
- to announce a birthday party
- to describe Fury’s a birthday party
- How long will the party last?
- eight hours
- ten hours
- two hours
- three hours
12. How many hours does Grand Bonanza sale open on Sunday?
13. What will the customer receive if they buy furniture above Rp. 5.000.000,-?
- Antique furniture.
- A hand phone.
- A television.
- A 70% discount.
14. Which Statement is not true about the grand bonanzaSale?
- It’s from 31st January till the 31st March 2009
- The customer will receive a TV set, free of charge for purchase above Rp. 3.000.000,-
- The Bonanza sale is for antique furniture
- Business hours are from 10.am to9 pmfrom Monday to Saturday
The milk chocolate drink that gives instant health
Take milkivit with MV-4…………the health drink for young and old
MILKVIT WAS GOOD BUT MILKVIT WITH MV-4 IS BETTER.
Take the glass of water, add two scoops of MILKVIT
With MV-4. Delicious and refreshing.
Milkvit with MV-4 for
A product of of the Milkvit Co.Inc
15. How does Milkvit with MV-4 taste?
16. What is the Milkvit with MV-4?
a. Soft drink enriched with vitamins
b. Liquid containing alcohol for drinking
c. The milk chocolate drink for instant health
d. Water from a spring in the ground containing mineral salt
INDICATIONS, CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRECAUTIONS/WARNINGS, DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATIONS:
SEE ENCLOSED LEAFLET
KEEP OUT OF THE CHILDREN
STORE BELOW 25%
PROTECT FROM LIGHT
DO NOT FREEZE
ON MEDICAL PRESCRIPTION ONLY
Reg. no : dki123.1209
Batch no : D 12502.1208
Exp. Date : 1210
- It is better for you to use this product….
- a. Before December, 2008.
b. Before December, 2009
- c. Before December, 2010
- Before December, 2011
- Which of the following statements is incorrect?
- You must keep it in save place
- You can keep it in the refrigerator
- You should buy it in the pharmacy
- You need leaflet to know complete information.
Bandung, June 21 2008
Jl Mawar No 30
How are you getting along? It has been quite some time since I wrote to you. I hope you and your family is doing well. As you can see from the address above I have moved house. My father bought a new. We sold off the double storey terrace house and moved to a double storey semidetached house.
I like the new house. The compound is so much bigger than the old one. There are more rooms and we have big garden. My father said that we could have a swimming poll in the garden if we want to. However my mother said he would rather have a rock garden complete with waterfall.
As for me I would rather have a space for playing football or badminton. I think my father will listen to my mother.
How about visiting me and seeing our new house? I have already found a river which is good for fishing. I think you will enjoy the weekend here. See you soon.
19. Why does Budi like the new house?
- It has a swimming pool.
- It has bigger with more room.
- It has a rock garden.
- It has a river.
- Which of the following thing would probably be built latter?
- Swimming pool
- Football field
- Rock garden
- Badminton court.
This text is for question 21 to 24
Dolphins are sea mammals. They have to breathe air or they will die. They are members of the Dolphindeae family. Dolphins have smooth skin. Only baby dolphins are born with a few bristly hairs on their snouts. These hairs soon fall out. They have long tail and the fin on the top of –Their backs keep the dolphin from rolling over. The female dolphins have a thick layer of fat under their skin to keep them warm when they dive very deep. The dolphin’s Front fins are called flippers. They use them to turn left and right. Dolphin’s grow from 2 to 3 meters long and weight up to 75 kilograms.
Dolphins hunt together in a group. A group of dolphins is called a pod.
They eat fish, shrimps, and small squid. They live in salt water oceans. Dolphin can hold their breath for six minutes. When dolphins hear or see a ship close by, they go near and follow it from a distance. Dolphins can leap out of the water and do somersaults. Sometimes they invent their own tricks and stunts after watching other dolphins perform.
Dolphins are very friendly to people and have never harmed anyone. They are very playful animals.
21. We can say that dolphins are like people, because….
a. they give birth baby dolphins
b. they are similar in height
c. they breathe underwater
d. they dive very deep
22. Sometimes they invent their own tricks…. (Paragraph 4 line 4)
The word printed in bold means……
23. What does the first stage of the report include?
a. General classification of dolphins
b. Description of dolphin’s appearance
c. Description of interesting dolphin habits
d. Description of dolphin’s every day’s habits
24. Why do you think someone would write a report like this?
Because the want to……
- Give factual information about the thing in the world
- Describe a particular living or non living thing
- Present all the information about persons
- Write how to entertain the readers
The text is for questions 25 to 27
My uncle Martin is my mother’s elder brother. He is my favorite among my mother’s brothers. He is a very interesting man. He lives quite near us with my aunt Angela and my cousins Anne and Bob. I often go to his house.
He is about 45 with grey hair. He is still quite good looking. He is tall and well built. He has blue eyes and a strong face. He wears glasses. He is short sighted. He takes them off when he doesn’t work.
Uncle Martin is a textile engineer. He works for a big firm in the city. He travels widely in his job. He is an expert in solving problems with machines. At present, he is in theUnited States. He is visiting the firm’s customer there.
He is very fond of sea. He has a boat at the seaside. He goes there every weekend in summer to sail it. I sometimes stay with my cousin at their house on the coast. When Uncle Martin is at home, he usually takes us out in the boat.
25. Uncle Martin lives in his house together with….
a. his wife, his daughter and son
b. his aunt and two cousins
c. his mother and elder brother
d. his mother’s brother
26. When does he take his glasses on? When ….
a. he doesn’t work
b. he work
c. he is short sighted.
d. he sees an optician.
27. What does paragraph 4 tell us about?
a. Uncle Martin’s job
b. Uncle Martin’s description physically
c. Uncle Martin’s hobby
d. Uncle Martin’s family
The text is for numbers 28 – 30
How to make a Boat or a Hat
Things you need:
A half page of newspaper
What to do:
First, fold the paper in half the long way, crease and unfold.
Second, fold the sides up the middle crease, keep folded.
Next, fold the corners down to the middle.
After that, fold the corners downs to the middle again.
Then, fold the points downs to the middle.
Finally, open the middle and turn it inside out to make a boat, or flip it over and wear it as a hat.
28. How many steps do we follow to make a good paper boat or a hat as mentioned in the text?
29. “Finally open the middle and turn it inside out to make a boat, or flip it over and wear
it as a hat.” The underlined word could be best replaced with the word ……..
30. What is the communicative purpose of this text?
a. to entertain the reader
b. to describe something in general
c. to tell how to make a boat and a hat
d. to give information about a boat and a hat
Once upon a time, in the jungle there lived a fox. His name was Rox. No one didn’t know him. Everybody in the jungle was afraid of him because his face and style look very vicious.
One day in a summer beautiful morning, when Rox was drinking at the side of the river, he saw a little rabbit in danger. A snake came sneaking behind the little rabbit. The snake was going to eat the rabbit. Rox jumped over the snake as soon as possible and scared the snake away.
The little rabbit then felt relieved that Rox just save his live from the treat of the dangerous snake. After that, the little rabbit told the whole jungle that Rox was a kind fox. He just saved his life. There was no need to afraid of him anymore.
- Paragraph two tells us about……
- Rox looked very vicious to every one
- Little rabbit was relieved about kind fox
- Rox saved a little rabbit’s life
- Snake was scared of the little rabbit
- What was Rox doing when the little rabbit in danger?
- What is the purpose of the story above?
- To describe about the vicious fox
- To entertain readers about kind fox
- To explain about the little rabbit
- To inform us a life in the jungle
- “He just save hislife”, (paragraph 3). The underlined word refers to…
- Little Rabbit
kangaroo, the Australian Identity
The first kangaroos inAustralialived in the forest. They ate only insects and were about the size of large rats. They developed from type of possum that came down from the trees to search for food on the forest floor. Today the kangaroos are much bigger than the ancient kangaroos. The smallest kangaroos weigh 500 gram.
There are many types of small kangaroos in Australiaalthough most people only see and hear the big ones. A lot of the smaller kangaroos, such as burrowing and brush-tailed bettongs, are in danger of extinction. The sheep, cattle and rabbits eat their food and the tall grasses the use to shelter from predator like foxes and feral cats.
The kangaroos’ hop is very unusual. It is different from the jump of a large animal. If you try to hop up the street like a kangaroo, you will get tired quickly. A kangaroo can jump 65 km/h. It has hind legs that can store a lot of energy when it hops. Its stomach pumps air in and out of their lungs and saves their muscles a lot of work.
Kangaroos are marsupials. They rear their young in a pouch-like koalas and wombats. In a good condition the females of some kangaroos (for example, the red) are almost always pregnant. A day or two after the joey is born she mates again. A female kangaroo can produce different milk from different teats for the older and younger joeys.
The text above tells us about…….
a. The first kangaroos inAustralia.
b. The life and habitat of kangaroos
c. The types of kangaroos
d. Kangaroos food.
- What is the main idea of paragraph 2?
- The kangaroos firstly lived inAustralia.
- A lot of small kangaroos also live inAustralia.
- Kangaroos can jump in a long distance.
- Some kangaroos can mate after one or two days of born joey.
- What is the food of the first kangaroos?
- Which of the following statements is TRUE based on the text?
- The first kangaroos inAustraliahave size body
- Most people only know about the small kangaroos
- Kangaroos will get tired quickly if they jump
- Kangaroos keep their young in a pouch
Text for no 39 – 42
Joko was very busy last week. He wrote some letters for his parents and friends on Monday. On Tuesday he visited Ratu Praditya’s school. He played tennis for two hours there. Ratu is his friend.
In the evening he went to the sport shop. He bought a new tennis racket. Then he played tennis again the whole day on Wednesday.
He stayed home in the evening. He was very tired. Then, he spoke to his parents on the phone.
On Thursday he watched the football match on television. On the weekend he visited his brother’s badminton club at Jalan Angsana I.
39. What does the text tell us about?
a. Joko’s last week activities
b. Tennis player
c. Ratu Praditya’s school
d. Joko’s parents
40. What is the main idea of the first paragraph?
a. Joko visited his friend
b. Joko was very busy last week
c. Joko wrote some letters
d. Joko played tennis
41. What did Joko do on Tuesday?
a. He wrote some letters
b. He went to the sport shop
c. He visited Ratu Praditya’s school
d. He spokes to his parents
42. What does the word “there” in the first paragraph refer to?
a. his parents house
b. Ratu Praditya’s school
c. Joko’s school
d. His friends house.
Complete the paragraph for no 43 – 45.
Garuda is an important symbol in Indonesian culture. The Garuda eagle in Hindu Mythology is most……(43) depicted as the vehicle of the God Vishnu. ….(44) often refers to the King of all things that fly and it was ….(45) as the name of Indonesian Airlines.
43. a. Beautifully
44. a. He
45. a. taken
46. Last week the students of class 2 went camping. The campsite …in a village near kaliurang. It was about 10 kms South of Mount Merapi.
47. Arrange these sentences to make good paragraph.
1. It has the head and feet of a duck and the body of a mammal
2. Yesterday, we wenttoSafariParkin Cisarua Bogor.
3. Have you ever seen a picture of a platypus?
4. Well, now I’ve seen a real live platypus.
a. 2, 3, 5, 4, 1
b. 2, 5, 3, 4, 1
c. 2, 3, 5, 1, 4
d. 1, 4, 5, 2, 3
48. Arrange the sentences into a good composition.
1. Also, a young horse is called a “colt”
2. A horse is a large animal with four legs
3. We can see all of them in a zoo
4. We call a small horse a “Pony”
a. 2, 4, 1, 3
c. 3, 1, 4, 2
b. 4, 2, 3, 1
d. 4, 1, 2, 3
Arrange the words into good sentence!
49. New jacket – buy – Wiliam – didn’t – did – neither – John
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
a. 3, 4, 2, 1, 6, 5, 7
b. 4, 2, 1, 6, 5, 7, 3
c. 1, 2, 6, 7, 3, 5, 4
d. 4, 3, 1, 2, 5, 6, 7
50. Rubbish – do – throw – not – here
1 2 3 4 5
a. 2, 4, 3, 1, 5
b. 2, 3, 5, 1, 4
c. 2, 5, 4, 3, 1
d. 2, 4, 5, 1, 3
Sumber Data : Dokumen Pemberdayaan MGMP Bahasa Inggris SMP Kab. Sukoharjo
Beberapa hari yang lalu, istri saya mendapatkan file materi yang dikeluarkan oleh Direktorat Pembinaan Sekolah Menengah Pertama. File-file tersebut berisi soal-soal latihan yang saya pikir akan bermanfaat untuk menambah bank soal rekan-rekan guru. Semoga bermanfaat.
DVD Pembelajaran Conversation dalam format MP3 dan PDF. Di komputer OK di HP juga OK. Cukup Rp. 150.000,- saja. Info lengkap, klik iklan dibawah ini:
Here are some files containing the try out tests for the previous UNAS 2008 used in my regency. We do hope that we can share the test materials to others who need them. For the teachers who want to share your files, please send the files to my e-mail at : firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.